1. Make peace with your parents. Whether you finally recognize that they actually have your best interests in mind or you forgive them for being flawed human beings, you can’t happily enter adulthood with that familial brand of resentment.
2. Kiss someone you think is out of your league; kiss models and med students and entrepreneurs with part-time lives in Dubai and don’t worry about if they’re going to call you afterward.
3. Minimize your passivity.
4. Work a service job to gain some understanding of how tipping works, how to keep your cool around assholes, how a few kind words can change someone’s day.
5. Recognize freedom as a 5:30 a.m. trip to the diner with a bunch of strangers you’ve just met.
6. Try not to beat yourself up over having obtained a ‘useless’ Bachelor’s Degree. Debt is hell, and things didn’t pan out quite like you expected, but you did get to go to college, and having a degree isn’t the worst thing in the world to have. We will figure this mess out, I think, probably; the point is you’re not worth less just because there hasn’t been an immediate pay off for going to school. Be patient, work with what you have, and remember that a lot of us are in this together.
7. If you’re employed in any capacity, open a savings account. You never know when you might be unemployed or in desperate need of getting away for a few days. Even $10 a week is $520 more a year than you would’ve had otherwise.
8. Make a habit of going outside, enjoying the light, relearning your friends, forgetting the internet.
9. Go on a 4-day, brunch-fueled bender.
10. Start a relationship with your crush by telling them that you want them. Directly. Like, look them in the face and say it to them. Say, I want you. I want to be with you.
11. Learn to say ‘no’ — to yourself. Don’t keep wearing high heels if you hate them; don’t keep smoking if you’re disgusted by the way you smell the morning after; stop wasting entire days on your couch if you’re going to complain about missing the sun.
12. Take time to revisit the places that made you who you are: the apartment you grew up in, your middle school, your hometown. These places may or may not be here forever; you definitely won’t be.
13. Find a hobby that makes being alone feel lovely and empowering and like something to look forward to.
14. Think you know yourself until you meet someone better than you.
15. Forget who you are, what your priorities are, and how a person should be.
16. Identify your fears and instead of letting them dictate your every move, find and talk to people who have overcome them. Don’t settle for experiencing .000002% of what the world has to offer because you’re afraid of getting on a plane.
17. Make a habit of cleaning up and letting go. Just because it fit at one point doesn’t mean you need to keep it forever — whether ‘it’ is your favorite pair of pants or your ex.
18. Stop hating yourself.
19. Go out and watch that movie, read that book, listen to that band you already lied about watching, reading, listening to.
20. Take advantage of health insurance while you have it.
21. Make a habit of telling people how you feel, whether it means writing a gushing fan-girl email to someone whose work you love or telling your boss why you deserve a raise.
22. Date someone who says, “I love you” first.
23. Leave the country under the premise of “finding yourself.” This will be unsuccessful. Places do not change people. Instead, do a lot of solo drinking, read a lot of books, have sex in dirty hostels, and come home when you start to miss it.
24. Suck it up and buy a Macbook Pro.
25. Quit that job that’s making you miserable, end the relationship that makes you act like a lunatic, lose the friend whose sole purpose in life is making you feel like you’re perpetually on the verge of vomiting. You’re young, you’re resilient, there are other jobs and relationships and friends if you’re patient and open.
Posted on Saturday, 7 July
Tagged as: life inspire
Reblogged from: afangster
Posted by: jotista
- hayounggggggggg reblogged this from fannie-annie
- twentythousandstreetsunderthesky likes this
- thewastedgeneration likes this
- jxxxxlxxx reblogged this from jotista
- jxxxxlxxx likes this
- towards-better-things reblogged this from vobot
- junefreckles likes this
- joli-wallflower reblogged this from princetonleo
- milktea-obsession reblogged this from bulko-appetite
- bulko-appetite reblogged this from heavy-petal
- asdfjklmayyloriel likes this
- whenshewasjust-small reblogged this from ix-xxvii-xiii
- squire-sterling likes this
- tonightontopoftheworld reblogged this from malcolm-55
- kimmaeee likes this
- campsitediscotheque likes this
- gvnch-y likes this
- thrrasher likes this
- maarambella likes this
- tinyrabbitlove reblogged this from heavy-petal
- tinyrabbitlove likes this
- bulko-appetite likes this
- strangebuttercup reblogged this from lizasher
- ragm likes this
- lizasher reblogged this from nuestrasenoradeputazos
- nuestrasenoradeputazos reblogged this from hannamona and added:
- heatherdotbeam reblogged this from kinzelfish
- forsoccermoms likes this
- bobsyourdylan reblogged this from alittleboyandhisbear
- bobsyourdylan likes this
- butonlyfortheattention reblogged this from waveringlines and added:
- alittleboyandhisbear reblogged this from hannamona
- waveringlines reblogged this from housebuiltaroundyourvoice
- waveringlines likes this
- chaosfromtejas likes this
- mindlessxhumming likes this
- smokingmercy likes this
- xoworldofchancesxo likes this
- rowjew likes this
- gaysers likes this
- 3motion-less likes this
- thegeekasaurus likes this
- yournamesbetter reblogged this from rockinrye
- kinzelfish reblogged this from be-someones-reason-for-tomorrow
- kinzelfish likes this
- takeabreathmydear likes this
- takeabreathmydear reblogged this from be-someones-reason-for-tomorrow